Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Whole Chicken



For years I've been wanting to try and bake a whole chicken, but it seemed so daunting, so big, so grown-up. I never had any tutorials in my kitchen growing up so I searched the internet on how to tackle this project on my own. My source of direction and complete bird roasting enlightenment came from my ultimate homemaking guide Martha Stewart (okay, actually Martha Stewart Living). I liked their simple, easy to follow directions on how to roast a chicken. And then some of their recipes.

Afterward I thought, "Wow! That was easy." And, "Why have I been so intimidated by cooking a whole bird all this time?"

The meat was superb! Brian thinks it needed a bit more salt, but the meat was excellent all around; tender, juicy, and flavorful. I stuffed the bird with a coarsly chopped onion, lemon wedges, rosemary, and thyme. And then I roasted it on a bed of sliced onions.

Right now I'm working on what to do with the stock. Two days ago I made the stock with the carcass, onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves, and peppercorn. And now I have a whole lot of stock in the fridge. It is super dark, and I haven't tasted it yet, so I'm hoping it is okay. I think the dark color came from the drippings in the roast pan. I think I'll make a chicken soup and/or freeze the stock. I like some of the tips/ideas on what to do with a chicken carcass that I found on chowhound.

No comments: