Saturday, June 30, 2007

Eggs Benedict w/ Smoked Salmon

Today was my first time ever trying to poach an egg. I used the directions in The Silver Spoon on how to poach an egg. We didn't have white wine vinegar so I used rice vinegar. I thought red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar might make the egg white a funny color. The first time I poured the egg into the boiling water the egg white went everywhere and became really frothy in the water. I reread the directions and it says to "plunge" each egg into the water. Brian worked on plunging and his poached eggs looked more like the real deal. It was fun.

For the hollandaise sauce I also used the recipe from The Silver Spoon. I think I can improve on the hollandaise, but I'm not sure how. Maybe it needed a little salt or more lemon juice.

It was great making a wonderful breakfast from stuff we had on hand. (Okay, Brian did have to go get some smoked salmon. But it was only a short block a way. Oh the joy of New York City!)

Assembling the Benedict:

toasted english muffin
smoked salmon
poached egg
salt & pepper
hollandaise sauce

I served it with a side of fresh tomato slices and orange juice.

Delicious!

Rating: 6
(Good, but the hollandaise sauce needs improvement.)

The Silver Spoon, p. 354 (directions on poaching eggs)
The Silver Spoon, p. 59 (hollandaise sauce)

No comments: