Friday, June 29, 2007

Tacos de Salpicon de Pescado (aka Fish Tacos)

Yesterday I really wanted fish tacos. Good fish tacos are so hard to find in Manhattan. The only place we have found that we like is all the way in SoHo. We have traveled there just for the tacos at times. Since I love a good fish taco and I can't find a decent one in my neighborhood I have been experimenting some.

I made homemade pico de gallo salsa (I learned how from Marilyn). Red snapper fillets. (The new fish guy at Fairway had never skinned a fish and was a little embarrassed by the pieces of fish when he had finished. I assured him it was for tacos and that's why I asked him to do it--I hate skinning a fish.) I lightly floured (salt and pepper too) the fish and fried it in rippling (not smoking) grapeseed oil. Brian lightly fried the corn tortillas in some canola oil which made them a little more pliable and tasty.

Assembling the taco:

tortilla
spread a little cilantro sour cream
fish
pico de gallo
shredded cabbage

It was so good! I think I needed to add a touch more salt in the end, but excellent overall!

Rating: 9

The basic fish part of the recipe came from Williams-Sonoma: Savoring Mexico. p. 46

No comments: