Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Supper Chilled

We had the sister missionaries over for dinner, so I used the opportunity to try some more new recipes; knowing they would eat just about anything I made. I usually don't like to try new recipes on guests, but missionaries are always grateful no matter how bad it is.

Since it is extremely hot today I wanted to make a cool meal. I had never made a cold soup so I searched in The Silver Spoon, hoping they might have one. Are chilled soups very Italian? I made Cold Cucumber Cream Soup. It was quite good. I started it a bit late so I had to make room for the pot in the freezer to make sure it chilled in time. Brian really liked it and Isabella enjoyed a few spoonfuls. The soup ended up being a little thinner/runnier than I had expected/hoped. I did add the last 1/4 cup or so left of chicken broth, so I will be more accurate on that next time. One funny thing about the recipe is that it called for lettuce! I've never cooked lettuce before. I'm wondering if spinach would be a good substitute or any other leafy greens. I was also surprised that I couldn't taste the mint; which was good, I was afraid it might have a strong minty flavor which isn't my favorite (except in ice cream!). It tasted great.

After the soup I served Mediterranean-Style Orzo Salad with Corn from the Stonewall Kitchen Harvest cookbook. It was the first recipe I have tried from that particular book and it was so-so. I liked it, the salad was full of flavor, but they flavors didn't seem to mix right. I couldn't figure it out but Brian thinks it might be the sweet corn with the briny Kalamata olives. I think he's on the right track. It was more of a pasta salad than I had hoped. But it was cool and worked well on this hot, humid evening. We probably won't make this recipe again.

For dessert I made Old Fashioned Lime Pie, a recipe Anika introduced me to years ago when I was living with her in a tiny studio in Seattle. The recipe is from www.epicurious.com; here's the link: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/4322. After following the directions I topped the pie with fresh whipped cream and a garnish of left over lime peel. It was so refreshing.

Cold Cucumber Cream Soup Rating: 8
The Silver Spoon, p. 222

Mediterranean Orzo Rating: 5 (good but not quite right)
Stonewall Kitchen Harvest, p. 31

Lime Pie Rating: 10
www.epicurious.com

Oh! I'm so bummed! I meant to take photos of everything to post!

No comments: