Monday, January 14, 2008

Peas, Beans & Rice

That's as plain as it gets! And that's what I made this morning for our lunch this afternoon. Every once in a while when we get into a more healthy mode we eat "peas, beans & rice". It's exactly how it sounds plus ground beef; but that's just too cumbersome to repeat. Peas, beans, rice & ground beef, anyone? A wonderful thing about this dish is that it's so healthy it makes me not want to go back for seconds. :)

I do my best to make the dish as flavorful as possible. Today I guess I tried a little too hard because it tastes super salty to me, which means Brian will probably love it.

Another thing that's fun is to wrap it up in a tortilla (I love Trader Joe's Handmade whole wheat tortillas.) and add some salsa.

I realize I need to take more photos of our food, but I've already put it in a plastic container to take to Brian for lunch. Not so pretty.

So, how to make this delicious, nutritious treat?

These amounts will feed us lunch for a few days:

1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/2 brown rice
2 cups worth of mixed canned beans--whatever you have in the pantry
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed

I cook the brown rice according to directions. Brown the beef in the skillet, drain juices and put the beans in to warm up. Add rice and peas.

I always season the ground beef and beans with Chef Paul Prudhomme's Meat Magic. It's pretty good stuff. For the beans today I had red kidney beans and pinto beans. I usually add garbanzo beans too since they have so much protein, but I didn't have any.

Happy, healthy eating!

No comments: