Thursday, November 15, 2007

My Famous Lasagna


The first time I made lasagna was when Brian and I were first dating. He loves pasta and good food, so I thought I would make him some delicious lasagna. I must have already won his heart because the lasagna was horrible and bland! He kept salting it and salting it. I was so embarrassed and haven't attempted lasagna again until recently; over 5 years later.

I found the recipe in Blueprint magazine and made a few changes to make it simple and easy. The article says, "...As far as we are concerned, this is Your Famous Lasagna...Secret's safe with us." So, yes, this is My Famous Lasagna. It turned out so wonderful and delicious I won't shy away from it.

I make a small batch for our little family and use a glass bread dish to cook it in.

My Famous Lasagna

4 "no boil" lasagna noodles (I use Trader Joe's brand which seem to be larger than other brands.)
Good pasta sauce (I use Trader Joe's Basil Marinara sauce, but plan to use our homemade sauce when we make it again.)
Ricotta Filling (see below)
1/2 pound part-skim mozzarella, coarsely grated (2 cups)
2 ounces Parmesan cheese, finely grated (1/2 cup)

1--Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2--Lightly coat a bread pan with olive oil. Begin layering: Place a noodle in dish. Top with half the pasta sauce and another noodle. Top with half the ricotta filling, then half the mozzarella. Repeat the layering process, ending with the mozzarella. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan.
3--Cover with lightly oiled foil. Place on rimmed baking sheet; bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, and bake until bubbling and browned, 30-40 minutes more. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

Ricotta Filling

1 container (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper

In a medium bowl combine all ingredients.

No comments: